Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Salary, Commission or Contribution

Every day when I come to work, I know almost down to the penny how I will be compensated for my services.  I know what taxes are being withheld and I know where my voluntary contributions are going.  Regardless of any type of decision I make throughout the day, my income remains unaffected (unless I go psycho mad and am "asked to leave").  Can you imagine what this world look like if we all relied on a salary only?

Specifically, I am thinking of those jobs (some with considerable power) where the emphasis is not placed on the base salary.  The options that readily come to mind are tips, commissions and contributions.

It is an interesting dichotomy.  Referencing tips, we have many food service workers who rely on a small base wage, with the majority of their income held at the mercy of an unforgiving (and sometimes cheap) public.  These workers are the "face" of the establishment being visited, and will be held accountable for slow seating, kitchen errors and missed opportunities of the refilled water glass.

Then we have marketers (sales).  Again, a smaller base wage with promises of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow if they can CLOSE THE DEAL.  A lot of work and much like the food service worker, no guarantee of a great payday, regardless of quality of work.

Every vote may count but $$ add up!
Finally, think of all the politicians who rely on campaign contributions from the constituents they serve.  And not 100% of the constituents.  Generally, just those who have deep pockets or a vested interest in the outcome of regulations, laws and policies.  I don't know why we have anything called "special interest" groups, since I would think anyone who makes a significant contribution in effect, becomes the next "special interest" group.

When it comes time to make hard choices on rules, regulations, laws....how much thought do you suppose is given to avoidance of offending a current contributor, at all costs?

I think we all know the answer to that.  Public service can quickly morph into "self-serving" when push comes to shove.  It is depressing.  And we haven't even discussed the "petty issue" factor that I have been told comes into play on a regular basis (and my sources are the same people who have worked for some of the highest offices).

Need I say more?
Let's do a scenario.  If  I was a doctor (set income currently), which patients do you suppose I would see first?   If I was a trash collector, which homes would I make sure I never missed?  If I delivered a newspaper.....wait, bad example.  At least here in Austin, even on a good day, they are hit or miss (or miss, or miss).   It's probably in their best interest to continue to collect up front.  But for the first two scenarios, the correct answer is big tippers and regular contributors!



In summary, when dining out, remember, if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out.  Don't begrudge a marketer their commission (they are few and far between) and finally remember your vote could go farther with a handsome contribution.

your pal,
#showmethemoney

Kari










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence