Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Master Chef

In the six decades I have been alive, I have been cooking and baking for five of them.  My first exposure to cooking was when I was in 4-H.   We studied measurements, different types of ingredients, how to read a recipe and how to safely use the stove/oven.  When I was in junior high (which then was grades 7-9) I took Home Economics.  Not only did I continue to learn how to prepare food, I also learned the basics of sewing.

My brother and I were quite adventuress when it came to trying our hand at new things in the kitchen. One major memory is when my two uncles were in Kansas visiting, Erik and I decided to make them breakfast.  At that time the eggs were prepared over-easy (something Madison wouldn't even recognize because I gave that up long before her time) and we fried the bacon.  My recall is that the meal was an amazing success.  We were probably around 13-14 years old.  Mom's memory will be slightly different.  Since we were preparing this feast before school (and she was already at work), when she came home she saw all the "failed" attempts.  There truly is more than one truth to a story.

Mini meatloaf with
Roasted green beans w/almonds
Roasted cube potatoes
Fast forward just a couple of years and Erik and I also became quite familiar with the Betty Crocker cookbook for kids.  We quickly became fans of baking and not just cookies and brownies (which we promptly divided equally among us five kids and bagged separately).  We left nothing to chance on equality.   We baked a castle cake.  This was quite a project and I believe it was for Mom's birthday.  I only wish we had pictures (and that old cookbook) now.

Through my adult life, I have gravitated more to baking.  All my girls learned to cook with me and know their way around the kitchen.  Again, baking seems to resonate with all of us.

Until now!

Lemongrass Pork Burger with
Sweet Potato Fries
Margarita optional

Yes, just when you think there can be no more new experiences in life, I have been introduced to "Hello Fresh".  This opportunity has been wonderful.  Not only are we clean eating, healthy, fresh foods, I have been exposed to ingredients I have never used before.  Not only new ingredients but new ways to prepare that chicken breast that we have been eating regularly for too many years to count.

Every Tuesday my Hello Fresh box arrives complete with three new recipes and all the ingredients needed to make these three dinners.  For example, last week we enjoyed Pan-Seared Chicken with Herbs De Provence served over a warm Farro, Mozzarella and Tomato Jumble.  NO, we were not eating in a restaurant - this is K's kitchen going on.  And when I plate this ensemble, my photos are not FAILS when compared to the original.  If I do say so myself, I have got it going on.  And what the heck is Farro?

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

This Tuesday the box had not arrived when it was time to begin dinner.  Okay, Kari, get out the frozen boneless chicken breasts you keep on hand for this emergency and pop them in the oven. While those were baking I also decided on broccoli florets along with quinoa and bulgar.  Wow, I didn't even know how to prepare those a few weeks ago - now it graces my pantry.  Still concerned that the chicken would lack in flavor, I quickly tossed together a sauce to serve over the meal.  WHO AM I?  I promise you, before, I might have slapped a bottle of barbecue sauce on the table.

Meals used to be something that just needed to be prepared and eaten. Now I relish the prep time. Apparently I have become a Master Chef.

Special thanks go out to my sister Katy and niece for introducing me to this phenomena.

Until next time,
#sizzlingbeefstirfrywithbokchoyoverjasminericetonight

Your pal,
Kari, M.C.
#masterchef

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence