Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Discipline -for the win!

So I have been thinking about the whys and wherefores of discipline lately.  There are many forms of discipline, with the effectiveness solely dependent upon the recipient.  I have also been thinking about the rewards of discipline (and this should also be why we do it).  It sounds like an oxymoron, but we want discipline to result in something positive being gained.

When I would discipline my kids when they were growing up, I wasn't much for spanking but could dole out a thump that would be a real attention getter.  It's like my arm would stretch out like a super hero to deliver the goods.  I must have got that genetically since that is what I remember my grandpa threatening.  I rarely raise my voice in anger but tend to go quiet(er).  Regardless of volume, my girls would always say "quit yelling at me".  The tone was (is) so important!  Remember the old adage, "if you want to get someones attention...whisper"

Because I appreciate structure and have gained knowledge not only from being disciplined but delivering it too, I recognize now how it carries on throughout our life.
#discipline

Let's talk about habits - good and bad.  Neither happen without some form of discipline.  MANY years ago, I used to smoke.  I tried quitting many times but lacked the "discipline" to get it done.  I knew what the reward looked like - better health, money savings, cleaner teeth, etc etc.  But until I was ready to follow and stick with the imposed discipline, I never realized the benefits.  Now, 20+ years later, I can't imagine being a smoker.  Another habit is exercise.  So easy to talk about doing but it can be so hard to accomplish.  Yet we want the rewards.  A "summer ready" body, again-health benefits, lower blood pressure, stress reliever...blah blah blah.  Finally, how about eating healthy. I believe all the same benefits from exercise could apply.

Why does ice cream have to taste so good?

It's not that I don't like my green vegetables, because I do.  But there are so many things out there that taste so good but must be consumed in moderation.  The other day Mom made a lemon meringue pie from scratch.  I love that stuff.  Since I had a "heads up" that dessert was coming, I spent additional time on the treadmill (prior to eating) before I had the pie.  That takes discipline.  I don't always have the amount I need.

#lemonmeringuepie
Discipline in how we talk to others and treat people in general is called on at times.  There is a huge benefit to be gained in relationships when we think before we speak.  Just simple manners can go such a long way.

In this age of "everyone is a winner" maybe we need to step back and once again, require the discipline early, to reap those benefits for a life time.

Until next time,
#moderation/drive/commitment

your pal,
Kari






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence