Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Like sands through the hourglass...

How will spend it?
Happy New Year!  We are at that magical "blank slate" time of year - all things are new and the year holds much promise.  It appears as if we have all the time in the world to make good on our resolutions, cross items off the bucket list and make a big dent in our "things to do".

But even as the year begins, minutes are already gone forever.  Each moment in time is worth exactly that - a moment in time.  The value can only increase if we are happy with our choices in how we spend our time.  Because whether we stare out the window or invent a new medicine, that moment will be gone.

I was visiting with some folks I work with the other day about this very topic.  If we look back at 2016, are we where we thought we would be?  Want to be?  Did we accomplish what we set out to at the beginning of the year?  Or did we just let the year unravel, reacting rather than planning?

Lately, I have been focused on choices, followed by accountability.  If you haven't read it yet, please read "The Rhythm of Life" by Matthew Kelly.  I originally ordered this book on my Kindle, after reading a recommendation from someone on LinkedIn.  I enjoyed the book so much, I had to order a paper copy, not only so I could re-read it, but I wanted to highlight key parts and have it for a quick reference.

So after reading (and pondering) what was shared, one of my goals in 2017 is to make accountable choices for how I spend my time.  In the past, I have succumbed to the argument that there is no sense in making plans since we are not in control here.  If we don't die before our plans come to fruition (worst case scenario), there are still multitudes of "life" issues that could have impact.

I am not subscribing to that theory any more.  Now I look at the empty calendar and cross reference it with my list of "things I want to do".  Now, that list isn't full of travel plans and family visits (although both are represented) but other things that one might consider accomplishments.

Even as I plan on spending money, I want to have a plan to earn and save money.  Twice monthly piano lessons, Rosetta Stone Spanish, knitting for charity....all these things have a place on my list. So does sorting through a lifetime of pictures and creating some semblance of order, creating a spreadsheet of all the books I own (and what I want to do with them), the list goes on.

I will not do ANY of the above without a plan.  I need to look at the calendar and allocate time for all of these things.  If I wait for it to happen, or for me to "feel" like it, I will be having this same conversation with you next year around this time.

A couple of years ago, my sister Katy and I planned a "dream" vacation.  We spent an entire year determining what we would want to see and do, how much money should be allotted, etc.  We had the BEST TIME EVER and got to meet several family members for the first time.  It was a little sad when it was over, because we had enjoyed the time planning AND going.

2017 is going to be the year for me to make things happen and get things done.  How about you?  Do you have a plan?

Until next time,
#enjoythejourney

your pal,
Kari




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence