Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Copy that!

Which would be my sense of humor
I have told (and been told) that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  All my girls have had times in their life when someone was "copying" off of them.  I would instantly bring out this remedial saying, which we all know brings no comfort at the time of imitation.

Yet, as I look back (on all things copied and copied) I have to believe that this saying is true.  I have to believe that things I have picked up from other people have helped shape the me I am.  We are all so many pieces before we equal a "whole".  That is not to say that every habit or trait I have picked up has been the best for me.  But in total, it is who I am.

One of the worst habits I picked up was smoking.  I discovered this vice late in life (so to speak) as I was already well into my twenties.  I can still remember my dad's final days as he lost the battle to lung cancer (brought on by 45 years of heavy smoking).   A smoke break was needed after every visit.  It has now been 20 years this November since I finally smoked for the last time.  There were many false starts that lasted a year or more at a time but I wasn't ready to let that habit go until then.

I can also be guilty of picking up mannerisms and speech habits of others if I am with them for extended periods of time.  This is done subconsciously and might even lend the appearance of me making fun of someone.  I constantly have to "check myself" to ensure I am not going down that road (of copying or making fun).  It's a slippery slope.

And to that I would add,  I notice when people copy off of me.  The older I get the more I tend to believe it is flattering rather than offensive.  Sure, there could be some humor instilled in the imitation and I am okay with that.  I have been using humor all my life (again, sometimes not as appropriately as I should.....another "habit").

After years of being in the trucking business, my husband often answers the affirmative by saying "10-4".  Over the years I have added the particular phrase to my vocabulary, along with "copy that".  It's a language we all understand.  I didn't notice it as much in the past but now I have a host of people that work with me that respond "10-4" to my requests.  It makes me smile every time.

There is an entire "numbers" language that at times I feel compelled to learn, but don't want to be so intentional.  So for now, I will leave it at a "big 10-4" (also used at times to emphasize) and move on down the road.

Until next time,
#whatsyour20?

your pal,

Kari


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence