Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Can I help you?

If my eyes are still open, I am still helping
I love to help (with the exception of moving, packing or unpacking households, baiting fishing hooks....this list is not all inclusive).  However, given any other situation.... I enjoy participating, interacting and cheering.

As hard as it is to believe, there are some instances where my help might not always be appreciated.  That is the bad news.  The good news is I am starting to recognize "some" of those instances.

One of the toughest assignments I have been working on giving up is being "co-pilot".  As an expert driver, I know how hard it is to hear the gasps, grabbing hold of the seat or door, sometimes accompanied by helpful hints about traffic conditions.  And still...

I have latched on to a new remedy.  Now I bring my knitting to the car with me on longer drives. I am so involved with my latest project, I forget to look up.  Because when I look up, I am not enjoying the scenery,  I am scanning the horizon for potential roadblocks (literally and figuratively).  It is (was) my job.  The benefits of this is marital happiness.  Seems like a small price to pay.

Another work in progress is my listening skills.  I have always been an empathetic listener, but sometimes I go into the "fix it" mode and share how the particular situation could be solved.  It never ceases to amaze me (that given my versatile life experiences)  I don't always have the right answers to EVERYTHING. I am Not.  Always. Helpful.

The good news is I am a continual work in progress.  While you may only know about my bi-lingual pursuit of talents and the musical interest that has been revived, I READ EVERYTHING.  Some of it's just junk, but much of it can be good advice for managing daily life.  If you know me, you also know it has never been good enough (for me) to just get by.  I need to excel,  And while I may never be excellent in all I attempt, I will never stop trying.

Another blessing and a curse.  It is hard to feel satisfied with myself when I am "striving".  Striving to speak Spanish, play the piano better, be a good wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend.....the list goes on and on (and is not listed in any type of priority)!

So here is what I acknowledge for now.  I will never be perfect.  This will be true in everything I do. This is not an excuse to quit trying but more a recognition that sometimes keeping on trying is good enough.  More than good enough!

Until next time,
#adios

tu amigo,
Kari






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence