Wednesday, September 7, 2016

College parties and all-nighters...who knew?

Today marks that longest time Terry and I have ever gone without seeing our baby (10 days). I didn't realize those parties and late nights would begin so early.  For all the planning and preparing we have done over the past year, this is one issue that still caught me by surprise.  As I have mentioned before, we started "dating" again and both of us have picked up a few new hobbies.

Mine involve knitting (for gifts and others), reading (a lifetime pursuit) and most recently....about ten days ago I would say, (here's your hint)....hola, mi amigos!  Yes, I have started Rosetta Stone -Spanish.  I can already tell I am going to be a natural and I haven't even made a dent in the program.

Overseeing our options
Terry has been busy managing the construction of our latest family business....more to come on that in a later issue.  He has also been quite the activity planner.

But back to the closing down the party in the wee hours of the morning.  Right out of the gate, Terry planned a dinner party,  The best thing about parties that Terry plans is that they come with a chef and a bartender....AND THEY EVEN CLEAN UP AFTERWARD.  This little gathering began at 5:30 pm with adult beverages and before we knew it, it was 2:00 am.  Oh, did you think I meant Madi?

Suffice it to say, I haven't felt that good (and subsequently that bad) in too many years to acknowledge.  Maybe since before we had kids. WAIT!  We have always had kids.  We are in uncharted waters now.

Party just starting
This week finds us in New Mexico.  I had a conference to attend and since Mr. French has a fluid schedule, he is here with me.  I never knew a conference could be so much fun.

But wait....there's more.  Family weekend is coming up in late September (reunited) followed by Fredricksburg wine pickup in early October.  Two ACL concerts also on the books that month.  November brings that 7-day anniversary cruise (YEEEHAWW) and a potential trip to California for another conference.

Folks, I haven't even factored in holidays and holiday travel.  Who are we?

The day before Madi left for school she looked at me and said quite seriously, "I feel like you guys have betrayed me?"  I am sure I look shocked when I asked why she would think that.  She responded, "You didn't tell me I would grow up this fast!"

My follow-up answer after ten days of empty nesting is "I didn't know WE (Mr. French and bride) would digress so quickly!"

Until next time,
#ignoredrunktexts

your pal,
Kari





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence