Wednesday, August 3, 2016

It's my birthday...NOT!

Yesterday was Averie's birthday.  She is my favorite (only) granddaughter and she is now two years old.  My daughter is accommodating my travel schedule and only celebrated Averie's birthday with immediate family.  Her "party" will be later this month when I can be there.

I hope we aren't starting something.  You'll see why in a minute.
Birthday fun at school

Everyone celebrates birthday's differently.  When "us five kids" were growing up, there were enough of us already to constitute a small crowd so we didn't have friends over.  If a big present was received by one, it was a guarantee that we would all be receiving the same for our birthdays.  For example, my brother's birthday was in January and when he was around 11 or 12, HE RECEIVED A BIKE!  This was a big deal since none of us had one.  My nose was slightly out of joint since being the oldest, I thought he shouldn't have a bike before me.  Luckily, my birthday was next up on the calendar and my blue sting-ray nicely complimented his gold one.

When I had kids-plural (which wasn't until Megan was 7), I started the practice of giving the non-birthday child a small gift.  This soon became a tradition that carried on to my nieces as well.  As my list of recipients grew, I was spending like Christmas (almost).  And while Megan and Marissa might have both received gifts twice a year, I cut that expensive idea off by the time I had Madison.

As a grandma (Mimi) darned if I didn't start the same business all over again, once each family had more than one boy.  Heads up to Ethan and Nathan....that ship has sailed now that Averie is here.  It seems 3 is the magic number of how far I will go.

As a child, Megan loved her birthday.  In fact, she loved it so much that I shared a memory with her that few people know about.

Megan was three (already) and I was back to work.  One summer afternoon when I went to pick her up, I was surprised to see a full blown birthday celebration wrapping up.  Before I could ask whose birthday it was, the sitter started chastising me for not telling her it was Megan's birthday,  My smiling face froze as my little daughter came out with her gift bag, evidence of cake and frosting still on her face.  She smiled at me and said "it's my birthday".

At this point, there was only one thing to do.  After quickly determining that the only thing more humiliating for me would be to ADMIT  that it was INDEED NOT HER BIRTHDAY (after such a great effort had been made)  was for me to graciously thank everyone involved, and hustle that little schemer out to the car.

She's two!!!!!
Megan has conveniently forgot this episode, but I was scarred for life.  While I was very happy with the in-home day-care situation, I now knew the clock was ticking.  After all, Megan would REALLY have a birthday in about nine months and we needed to be gone by then.

I don't remember much more than that (about this particular incident) but I can't help but wonder....Were we having family birthday parties separate from friends parties, which made her think she could easily have two (once we stopped)?

Just wondering.



Until next time,
#birthdaysarefun

your pal,
Kari


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence