Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Planning for retirement

Helping out when needed.
My sister Katy and I have been discussing retirement.  Even though we still look too young to consider the option, we are in that season of our life. Much consideration has to be taken to ensure that the "next chapter" is fully successful.

We have been considering role models of active and happy retirements.  While we are not exactly sure what we want retirement to look like for us, we definitely know what we don't want it to be.  Katy put it aptly when she said "I don't want to get up every morning to move from my bed to the recliner".

Our mom is retired.  And even though she is new to the Austin area, she is VERY SOCIAL.  She has a weekly quilter's group she attends and senior lunches twice a month.  She walks daily (when the weather cooperates) and probably knows more of our neighbors in her first year here than I do.  Another successful retiree is Sheila (my other mother).  She plays Bunco regularly, has a weekly scheduled breakfast, and is very active in her church.  Notice I haven't even mentioned hobbies that they both have (quilting, crafts, gardening, reading, pets..)  The list goes on.

Here in lies the rub with Katy and I (we are very similar).   We just are NOT that social.  Aside from church, once I go home in the evenings (and weekends), I have no other commitments.  Now don't get me wrong, I do have hobbies - I like to workout, knit, read, bake but all of these things require no interaction with others.  Katy is in a similar boat.  (Speaking of boats, we both LOVE cruises!)  Terry and I have "couples" friends that we enjoy going out to dinner with, but again...we can't eat out every night.  And I really don't need eating to be my hobby!

You can do this, Katy!
We are not without hope.  I have noticed since moving to Texas, I have become more outgoing.  The old rule used to be - when in public, avoid conversation (and eye contact if necessary) with strangers at all costs.  In fact, if it appeared that there might be a "talker" on the elevator - I would just wait for the next one.  No harm, no foul.

But Texans are friendly.  And what I mean by that is, when they ask how you are or how your day is going, they really want to know.  It took some getting used to but heck, now I am one of them.  I am that person in the elevator that will look you right in the eye and start talking.  WHO AM I????  The list goes on.  I smile at EVERY person I see (probably looking like the village idiot) and INTRODUCE myself to people.  Again, WHO AM I?

Know No Strangers!
Katy has shared that she is not quite there yet, but let's just call it like it is.  She lives in Louisiana. We both reminisced about our brother, Erik (and our dad) who have NEVER known a stranger.  I remember feeling quite uncomfortable as adults when Erik would start up a conversation with John or Jane Doe.  My face would feel like plastic as I put on the obligatory smile.  No words from me, just the occasional nod and strong stares at Erik to walk away.  Sigh.  The things we miss now.

So aside from other things like bills paid in full, enough money to live on after retirement, etc. we both still need to develop some social skills that extend beyond our current capabilities.

It's good to have a plan.

Until next time,
#tableforoneplease

your pal,
Kari







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence