Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Untold Stories of the ER

The Evidence!
When God created Man, (specifically the nose) do you think He had any idea of the possibilities?  These fine instruments (in all shapes and sizes) are not just for breathing, or enjoying the smell of freshly baked cookies.

I know I cannot be the only one who has dealt with polyembolokoilamania.  We always wonder why a person would do this and even more so, are tasked with controlling our own reaction,  Just so you know, this is not a rare occurrence.

My first time being exposed to this behavior was when my sister Katy left her three girls with me for a few hours.  I recall that we were no more than 15 minutes into the first hour, when then three-year old Pammy promptly stuck a bead up her nose - so far it could not be "blown" out.  Initially, panic was setting in, but in those days I sported some VERY long fingernails.  I sat that little girl down on my lap and creatively worked the fingernail on my little finger, halfway to her brain to retrieve that bead.  There would be no emergency room visits on my watch.

So Megan called me last week.  She was on her way to pick up Averie (much adored granddaughter) who had somehow managed to evade detection during lunch, as she pushed corn so far up her nose, it could not be seen with a flashlight.  Straight to the emergency room for her, where after much stress and drama (from Averie's viewpoint) the corn was extracted.  The next morning when they were getting ready for the day, Megan asked Averie if she was planning on putting corn (or anything else) up her nose.  22 month old Averie replied very solemnly, "no corn".

When I was around ten, I remember a fly found its way into my ear.  IT WAS TERRIFYING.  The buzzing noise was real.  Luckily, my mom was able to help the fly "find its way out" with only the use of a flashlight.  For those of you who know me well, my thought process had already progressed to ear removal surgery to get the pest OUT!!!  

Who has enjoyed the show "Untold stories of the ER"?  If so, you are more than aware that adults place interesting objects in various orifices, that more times than not, eventually need medical intervention to have same removed.  What could be more humiliating?  With my limited knowledge, I am praying these are not the same kids that started with beads, corn, etc. up the nose.

Research shows that those identified as a serial killer, generally had some similar type behaviors that began in childhood.  While there is a huge difference between objects in the nose (or elsewhere) it just goes to show you, some behaviors start early.

I don't know everything about polyembolokoilamania, but this much I know for sure.  I will NOT suffer from this disorder.

Until next time,
#saynotoQtips

your pal,
Kari







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence