Skip to main content

Long weekend update

What a "memorial" of a weekend.  With Madison graduating, we had the pleasure of having all her siblings (count them -five) along with their significant others, the grand kids, Terry's sister Wendy, niece Joslyn and her husband Wade, my sister Katy and her husband (Tony) and finally Madison's best friend from Kansas City - Kenadee.  Plus those of us who already live here!!

All the grand kids-Tall to Small
All of us ate too much, some of us drank too much, but none of us had a bad time.  The grand finale day (Sunday) was a reception at The Oasis for Madison, followed by family time at the house that evening.  The weather was fairly cooperative and the pool was put to the test with swimmers of all ages.  The house was full and so were our hearts.

As quickly as they arrived, the departures seemed equally swift.  Almost everyone left Monday morning. which allowed me to transition into recovery mode (through Tuesday).  The weather was appropriately dreary.

heartbreaking
The only negative I suffered during the whole weekend happened on Monday - my Fitbit failed me.  It had been showing signs of wear and tear for the past couple of weeks, but was still faithfully tracking my every step.  Then suddenly, without warning, Karibit flat lined.  This means that every walking workout, steps throughout the day and staircases climbed since that time are not "official".  I have no record of them ever happening.  And we all know that if it isn't counted, it isn't happening.  Sigh.

So I went back to work on Wednesday, leaving Ethan and Nathan (two oldest grandsons) at home still enjoying time in Austin with daughter Marissa.  Madison still has Kenadee (thanks Tami and Jerry) with her for a few more days.

And I am still walking around without credit.  Luckily it doesn't impact my ability to report (type) and I am hopeful that a replacement will be arriving soon.

Until next time,
#itsallaboutthestep

your pal,
Kari









Popular posts from this blog

College parties and all-nighters...who knew?

Today marks that longest time Terry and I have ever gone without seeing our baby (10 days). I didn't realize those parties and late nights would begin so early.  For all the planning and preparing we have done over the past year, this is one issue that still caught me by surprise.  As I have mentioned before, we started "dating" again and both of us have picked up a few new hobbies.

Mine involve knitting (for gifts and others), reading (a lifetime pursuit) and most recently....about ten days ago I would say, (here's your hint)....hola, mi amigos!  Yes, I have started Rosetta Stone -Spanish.  I can already tell I am going to be a natural and I haven't even made a dent in the program.

Terry has been busy managing the construction of our latest family business....more to come on that in a later issue.  He has also been quite the activity planner.

But back to the closing down the party in the wee hours of the morning.  Right out of the gate, Terry planned a dinner pa…

Time passages...

When we are first born, our time here on this earth is measured in days, then weeks, then months, and finally years.  I think we make a solid switch to years when we reach the age of two.  That is when we also focus on those half years.  This usually carries on to about twelve.   Once we hit that magic number, we say we are twelve....until we cross whatever point in the twelve month cycle that represents itself as "almost 13". This goes on until we are 29.  Then we are 29 until the VERY DAY we turn 30.

When I was young(er), I looked with great anticipation to arrive at those signature years; 18, 21, 25 (for car insurance purposes) and even 29 (the first time).  I don't know what I thought my life would look like, or even who I would be, but those were earmarked as important years.

As a teenager, I think I thought 25 was surely old and mature.  I used to believe I would be able to handle things better..."when I was older".  Specifically I thought this when I wa…

Happy trails!

Terry and I have taken our relationship to the next level.  Considering we have been married almost 20 years, one might say we have eased into it.  Yes, we have added communal exercise to the mix. We did have one false start a couple of years ago, when we were both in the same boot camp.  Once I returned to work, I had to let go of the early morning workouts.  Now, however, we are hitting the trails on Saturday and Sunday, exploring Texas and logging in the miles.

This is a match made in heaven for me.  Everyone already knows about my compulsive obsession with Fitbit (I may have mentioned before - I call mine Karibit) and counting.  This takes it to the next level.  No longer will I have to be content by circling the neighborhood for 45 minutes to reach three miles...now I can explore the great outdoors, (with my partner in crime) and the time flies by.

Did I mention I felt the need to upgrade my existing Karibit to a Charge 2?  This little beauty tells me everything I need to know f…