Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Now I'm just somebody that I used to know

Chips add to a smile!
How many people do you suppose we are in a lifetime?  We can do the easy math and start counting roles.  In my instance, I started out as the first daughter, first granddaughter, first niece (notice a theme here?)  But as I was growing up, I quickly added the role of sister (many times over) and eventually somebody became my first friend (and visa versa).  In kindergarten, I became a student and that has continued off and on all my life.  I enjoyed being a girlfriend for the first time in 6th grade.  That involved trading ID bracelets and going to the sixth grade dance.  It seems to be much more complicated these days.  When I was 14, I became an employee for the first time.  Later in life, I became a wife, mother, aunt, boss,(or bossy), grandmother (Mimi) and great aunt.  If I am lucky, there will be more roles to come. And I didn't even count all the "in-law  roles I enjoy along with views and categories that also indicate who I am.

Within each of those roles, I deal with different people and am a different person.  Hence the question, who am I...really?  .

I feel younger than the age group indicated for me.  Milestones besides birthdays are when you move to a new age category for customer service, surveys. etc.  They usually are grouped in a five year span until you reach 65+.  That is the summit of categories.  How quickly it seems I have almost reached my climb to the top.

Yet I am still a wildcard in so many areas.  When I envisioned myself getting old(er), I was certain I would become more dignified, reserved, dare I say adult?  As it happens, I still can't dress myself without assistance (have lost count of the times I wear my leggings inside-out).  I desperately need a bib as evidenced most recently when Madi and I went to the Moviehouse and Eatery.  Such a nice establishment with an in-house chef and a full menu.  This is like going out to dinner in your recliner.  I don't know when I realized I had ketchup from my fries all over my shirt, but I do know it was before the chocolate covered brownie joined in the fray.  When we stood up to leave after the movie, more popcorn spilled off my lap and chair then I had eaten.  I was a disaster.

Count me in when identifying adults with inappropriate tendencies.  Nothing illegal, immoral or unethical but necessary could be a stretch.  Why do I identify necessary as taking pictures of strangers for my sister/daughter/friend/staff meeting to observe?  Because whatever I am taking a picture of is wildly inappropriate so my behavior feels more like a reporting obligation.  Also, please tell me I am not the only mother who has code words frequently used with kids to make subtle observations?  Anyone???

In my favor, I do KNOW how to behave accordingly; but then it comes down to choices.  And I guess my point here is that I thought I would make the right choices ONCE I GREW UP.

I guess the bottom line here is, that is not going to happen.  I am going to be a girl trapped in an old woman's body that still laughs when she shouldn't and thinks she is funny(ier) than may be the general consensus.  Also, I enjoy singing along to the radio like a rock star.  Public - consider yourself warned.

Until next time,
#whoeverIam

your pal,
Kari






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence