Wednesday, April 27, 2016

If a picture is worth a thousand words - why do I still hear you?

By now, I cannot be the only one who wishes we had election year boundaries.  Obviously, there is no criteria for a candidate to run, so wouldn't it be nice to limit our exposure?

What does this picture tell you?
They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  Let's encourage this as our new method of campaigning.  Wouldn't it be wonderful to silence the insult throwing, half-truths and false promises with just a picture? And why do they all YELL?  I can imagine it now....a picture holding a baby for truth (or a facsimile thereof); a mean face for insults (or any hateful rhetoric); how about a thumbs up with those who choose to endorse the candidate simulating support?  I love this idea.

Talk is cheap anyway.  Isn't it the actions that come from everything we say that is ultimately what matters?  It's not just the elected officials either (though I am really tired of them right now).

If we say we will drive careful and pay attention, we should.  Otherwise, the results can be life-changing (or life-ending).  When we say we are sorry, we should be (and our actions should reflect whatever it is we are sorry about).

Food face - safe bet!
Those who know me know I say "just because you feel something, doesn't make it true".  I say this because feelings change; and many times we have the ability to choose how we feel.  Those "feelings" can take the form of words, actions or both.  Another favorite line of mine (ask my kids) is "just because something is true, doesn't mean it needs to be said".

Let's think about that for a minute.  If I have food on my face, that is a "truth" that I can change and would welcome the insight.  (real life examples always are the best).  Now, if I notice that someone is gaining or losing weight, (besides myself)  I doubt they need me (or anyone else) to point it out to them.  One, it is something they are aware of and two, a comment regarding same doesn't provide an immediate opportunity for change.  

Hair style changes can be tricky, too.  Now we are talking about "opinions".  I will never forget a comment shared after I got my hair cut.  It was when I was working at Insurance Services Office (this goes back a few years...ok - 35, but it obviously made a lasting impression. )  I remember the whole scene.  I walked to my desk and was putting things away when Dorothy (the receptionist) called me over.  She was an older lady (compared to me at the time, but probably about my age now).  She had those glasses that she wore on a chain around her neck.  She put them on, (imagine perched at end of nose) and said "did you get your hair cut?"  I replied with a smile, "yes, I did".  After a further once-over, she proclaimed "I liked it better the old way".  WOW. With my smile now frozen on my face I quickly advised "then I am glad I didn't get it cut for you."  And walked away.....

If that same thing happened today, I would probably respond differently.  But that doesn't mean any more appropriately.  I could see myself grabbing my head, moaning in agony and exclaiming, "Oh God no. What can I do to make this better for you!"  I obviously have gotten more dramatic (and mouthy) with age?  Buyer...Beware!

I don't know why I choose this road when confronted (with anything) since not everyone appreciates my humor as much as I do.  It is a safe bet to say, I have been the instigator in helping my kids respond in this type of manner.

Maybe it can best be explained by what my dad told my brother-in-law as he became exposed to the ways of our family - "Don't mind the girls, Tony, they just like to giggle."

Until next time,
#alwayslookingforalaugh
(hope it doesn't cost you)



your pal,
Kari


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence