Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Who isn't College Ready?

Obviously too young for college
There has been much talk about college at the French household over the past several months.  In the fall, we enjoyed several campus visits and as this year begins its final months, decision time is drawing near.

As of right now, Madison has been accepted at every school she has applied and we currently have housing contracts with two of them.  Earlier in the year, she was ALL ABOUT Northwest Missouri State (family Alma Mater) but then another strong contender entered the race, UT-Tyler and all bets were off.

Here's my conundrum.  My "baby" is 18 years old.  She can vote in this election; she can drive well (after a late start, she has this down); she knows how to clean her room and do her laundry (though she treats those as optional at this point in time).  She is an accomplished baker and knows how to get around the kitchen to fix a few meals.  I know most of you are saying....what problem??

Madi needed an appointment with the dentist.  I had to call because Madison doesn't like talking on the phone to people she doesn't know.  Problem #1.

When we arrived at the appointment,  when the dentist asked Madi what she was there to see him about, she looked expectantly at me.  I am as comfortable with silence as the next person but this is time that costs money.  Madison doesn't like sharing personal information about herself.  So I told him why she was there.  Problem #2.

She is still my baby!
Today she received one of her rooming assignments (remember, we have two universities still at play here).  I logged into her account (yes, you read that right), to take a screen shot of where she landed and with who, to send to her.  Her immediate reaction - who is this person?  I don't know them?  What does the school know about what I want??  I didn't even take a personality test, etc. etc......Well, yea, she did.  Or I did.  Who has been doing all the paperwork up until this point?  Problem #3.  (She doesn't even know her log in information - trust me).

Okay.  It seems we have functioned as "we" for so long, the lines have become blurred (that is what I am going with anyway).  We all know that she isn't incapable of doing these things, she just hasn't had to deal with it.  Talking with other mothers, I know I am not alone.

Options....I could go to college with her (she has been voting for this option ever since she was small).  Not as popular lately though it did make a BIG comeback today when I suggested myself as a known roommate alternate!  The reality is she is very autonomous when I am not around so I know I need to begin separating myself from those things I have done for her - her entire life.  Problem #4
I DON'T WANT TO (err, I may not be ready).  And before I own this entire responsibility, let me assure you that if I don't take care of something, Dad does!  His option was that she go to college down the street.  (she wasn't interested).

Okay, so it looks like we have a few things to work on over the next couple of months.  Luckily, we will have plenty of time together to discuss the transition (or lack thereof) as I will be going with her on her SENIOR TRIP.


Until next time,
#nosurprisethere

your pal,
Kari











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence