Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Virtual strangers aka rock throwers

I was first introduced to Facebook about seven years ago.  Oh, I knew about it before then, but believed (and was encouraged to believe) it was just for teenagers.  Eventually, my daughter Marissa created a page for me.  She said it would be a great way to share pictures with everyone (and I really think she might have been tired of emailing them separate to me).  Okay, fair enough.

I started with just a handful of "friends", family really...and before I knew it, I had people sending requests that I had not heard from since high school!  Soon, there were little "groups" I could belong to and I now had suggestions popping up of who I should be friends with.  Wow!

Chatting was available if I wanted to reach out to someone immediately or I could message them for later.  I quickly became aware of my privacy settings so I could "direct traffic" if you will.  It truly was (and is) fun to see all the pictures, be tagged for something special, etc.  It's a virtual world out there.

Soon enough I became familiar with the seedier side of Facebook.  You all know what I am talking about.  This is the streams where news stories are shared from around the world.  Some are funny, some are happy, some ask for prayers, some are tragic.  They are generally "shared",  meaning they originate from someone I might not necessarily know.  And truth be told, it is not the stories that are seedy.  It's the comments generated that make me question whether there is any empathy left in this world.

I read a lot of stories on Facebook.  I rarely feel the need to make a comment.  If a prayer is being requested and I am going to pray, I will respond.  I try to gauge my response by what I would do in real life.  Mainly because this is what we did before Facebook and the same social graces and standards should still apply.

Tongue in cheek....and this is mild compared to some!
Now, I know there are some ignorant people who post atrocities that they themselves commit.  I still wouldn't waste my time commenting on it if I wasn't going to report it.  Others forward stories -specifically the kind of story where someone (a child even) is hurt or killed.  Arm chair quarterbacks sit back and reply with comments that range from "what type of parent would allow this" to surely the husband must have done this" with no knowledge whatsoever of truth....other than what is printed. And we all know what we see is GOSPEL (heavy sarcasm intended).  And even if every word is just fact, who are we to think that our opinion (aka judgement) is ever called for - or even warranted? (he/she who is without sin, cast the first stone and all that).

Seriously, I cannot fathom ever posting anything I would not say to a person's face and please Lord - may those involved never actually hear what is "said" in print.

I remember one time when my grandson Nathan was around 4 or 5.  He was supposed to be playing in the front yard with his brother and when my daughter looked out, he was gone.  She was frantic.  She immediately began going from house to house, checking to see if he was there.  At one particular house, a woman looked at her and said words to this effect..."if he is lost, you deserve it.  You should have watched him better."  CAN YOU IMAGINE?  Thankfully, he had gone inside a friend's house without asking, and was found moments later.  But in that moment, the condemnation and hate from one mother to another...WHY?  Don't we all beat ourselves up enough when something like this happens without help from "virtual strangers"?

This is what I know. Life is hard. Mistakes are made.  Some can never be corrected or even apologized for...there aren't enough words.  No one needs to hear anything additional from me. Except, maybe...I'm so sorry.

Until next time,
#theyknownotwhattheydo

your pal,
Kari







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence