Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Lost Years

We've got "Class"
That is what I call all those years between high school graduation and now.  Because while I can account for them for myself (for the most part) how do you begin to catch up with people you haven't seen since all the tassels were flipped from one side to the other and caps were flying?

Yes, I attended a high school reunion this past weekend and it really is more painful for me to think about how long ago that was than the passing of several "milestone" birthdays.  As I sat there, looking around the room at faces (which for the most part I could still recognize) I pondered at how the only thing that separated us from the friendships we once shared is "time".

Obviously (painfully obviously) this isn't my first rodeo when it comes to attending high school reunions.  We had the obligatory ten year reunion which was fun because we all still were young, many just starting promising marriages, careers and families.  Fast forward to the twenty year reunion and while we were still young(ish), the gleam on the fresh outlook was starting to fade for some and many first marriages had been traded in for second (or third) by this point.

Before we knew it, fifteen more years had slipped by.  Time to gather for the 35 year reunion. (somehow no one managed to get us all together before then).  By now, most of us had grown kids and all baby pictures were of grand kids.  Thankfully, our picture name tags from days gone by made it easier to recognize who we once were.

Which brings us to this past weekend.  Notice now we are getting together every five years.  The list of classmates lost to tragic accidents, foul play, cancer, etc. gets longer as the years go by.  There isn't much time to waste.  And I noticed a different mix of people attending this year.  I saw girls (women) that I have known since I was eleven years old.  We went to grade school, jr. high and high school together.  I have crystal clear memories of playing barbies at Kim's house, admiring her new baby brother and being quite jealous.  I saw Kurt and can still see his house on the corner in our neighborhood.   And that is just to name a couple.  But collectively, I have no idea at all of what kind of people they have become, or what kind of life they have lived for the past 40 years.  Nor they of me.

After the 35 year reunion, a Class of 75 page was started and many people post pictures, etc. on that website.  Those of us on Facebook have all "connected" so we felt much more "familiar" when we saw each other this time - five years later.  But truly, the one person I can pick up where I left off with had saved me a place at her table.  I haven't seen her for five years but we text randomly and call each other sporadically.  She knows I will make my entrance once I am sure she is there, stay for dinner, the group photos, and like Cinderella (except there is no prince involved and I would never make it to midnight) I will slip out -telling just her goodbye (truthfully, I act like I am just going to the restroom).

I don't know a lot about reunions but this is what I do know, I know a lot of people put forth extreme effort to make it possible (of which I am appreciative).  I enjoy seeing everyone (even if I don't speak to everyone).  It's good to see those who used to be ....now.

Until next time,
#youcan'tgobacktowhatoncewas
#Cindyismybff

your pal,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence