Wednesday, July 8, 2015

All my children are adults now

One day I was checking the box that said "Do you have any children living at home under the age of 18" with a big fat YES and the next day I had to respond with NO.  How could this happen?  How did all those kids that I had either birthed or acquired through marriage manage to "grow up" on me?

Yes, my baby turned 18 last week and I can't even say I was surprised.  For the past year she has been reminding me at regular intervals - "I am almost 18", or "Can you believe I am going to be 18" and "I am not going to do that when I'm 18".  (On that last one, once we had the talk about still living at home and being on Dad and Mom's payroll - well, suffice it to say, we haven't heard much of that anymore).

Oh sure, she still has one more year of high school left (thank goodness we had the foresight to hold her back when given the choice before she even STARTED school).  I can't even imagine having to prepare to check the box NO and send her off to college in the same summer.  But that too will happen soon enough.

And yes, she is already saying "Can you believe I am a SENIOR"? or "I can't believe this is my last year at home" and "This will be the last year I ever live here".  (On that last one, once I started talking about plans for redecorating room, etc. she retracted - reserving the right to come home for holidays and summers, suffice it to say, we haven't heard much of that one either, anymore).

1997 was a good year
Eighteen years sure isn't what it used to be.  I was looking at a picture of Megan holding my little baby Madison and she was surrounded by all these young kids and teenagers I didn't even recognize.  That is when it really hit home. Eighteen years didn't just go by for my baby - but for all those other kids I have birthed and acquired.  Back then I had a couple of little girls - ages 11 and almost 13 - thrilled with a new baby sister.  Also hanging out were two handsome teenage boys - 13 and 15 (leaning towards 14 and 16) who were more help than I ever thought they would be when it came to a new baby.  And the oldest - a 20 year old daughter, just starting out on her own and was probably the most nervous when it came to holding her new sister.  We don't need to focus on how old these kids are now.  (or me).

Now two of these "kids" have kids of their own (a couple of them are closer in age to Madi then her own siblings).  Eighteen years and five grand kids later (four boys and one girl) - what a time we have had.  

I don't know what life holds for the next eighteen years, but I do know this.  The time we spend together is sweet and when I make a wish on my birthday, it will be for as much "time" as possible.

Until next "time"
#yessheistallerthanmetoo

your pal,
Kari

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence