Wednesday, June 24, 2015

It REALLY is my thyroid!!!

I am hard pressed not to roll my eyes when I hear excuses.  Let me rephrase that:  "what I perceive to be excuses".  And some of the ones most used tend to be health related.  You would be surprised what I have heard as a "reason" why some folks can't do the simplest things.

One time I was working with a group of women on how to give a firm handshake and make strong eye contact.  It's important in the business world (and when you meet anyone, as far as I am concerned) to come across as confident and self-assured.  As I walked around shaking each woman's hand, I would give a critic.  Despite knowing what I was looking for, one woman timidly palmed my hand.  I smiled at her and said "Let's try that again and put a little grip into it this time".   She then spent several minutes telling me why she didn't like to give a firm handshake.  Remember, I said "firm" not "bone-breaking" and now I know it was about what she didn't like to do (I wonder if she figured that out).  You can't teach people what they don't want to know.

Then there is the bad back.  This sounds heartless and somewhat jaded, but know that this comes from years of being around too many who would try to manipulate the system by playing this card.  I am sure there are people out there who really suffer from a bad back (without parentheses) but they are already stigmatized by those that abuse the term,  I have even been "down in the back" before - and I almost didn't believe myself.  And it even happened when no one was asking for help in moving.

So I guess it is only fitting that after a lifetime of shaking my head in disbelief (only to myself) when I would hear the term "I wouldn't be so heavy, but my thyroid quit working", that I would be challenged with this ordeal.  Fun facts about having your thyroid fail you - not only do you gain a few pounds, you have no energy, foot cramps are the norm, and I finally have the explanation for my raspy voice.  WHO KNEW!!!!

That's okay - the good news is - medication is available and it just has to be adjusted until it works for me.  The bad news is - if this is how it's going to be, look for me to sport a mustache soon since I thought that was secretly hysterical also.

Until next time,
#nowaxingyet,

your pal,
Kari







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence