Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The year of the "8's"

Still crazy, after all these years
I remember when I found out I was pregnant with Madison.  One of the first things I did, was figure out how old I would be when she turned 18.... 58 years old!  It seemed like "light" years away and I wondered how she would feel about having such an old mother.  After all, when Megan turned 18, I was 38 (and Madi wasn't even born) and when Marissa turned 18, I was 45.  By then Madi was a 5 year old. Yes, I participated in delivering children over three different decades.  And I haven't even added in my kids through marriage.

I did the same type of ruminations when I returned to school for my degree.  When I started, I had no idea had long it would take because I was committed to doing it "the old fashioned" way.  I wanted to really attend college - no on-line courses for me, I wanted the real deal experience.  This was back in 1993 and I still had Megan and Marissa at home.  I would have been 36 years old.

Calling my sister (Katy) to complain (who knows what age at this point, but certainly after Madison was born), that I would surely be 50 years old before I ever finished college, she paused a minute and replied, "well, you will be 50 years old anyway, you might as well be 50 and finishing college."  It was then that I realized that it wasn't about the age one would be at all.  It was about attaining the goal.
I'm smiling at you!
As it turned out, I graduated with my bachelors in 2002 so I was only 45 years old.  I managed to get that done just prior to Marissa turning 18 and Madi starting school.  And of course, I wasn't done, Since I still had time on the clock, I decided to go for my Master's.  And I finished that in 2005 - age 48!!

So now I am 58.   And guess what?  58 is NOT OLD?  I am still behaving just as (hmmm...what word am I looking for... poorly?....no, too strong.  silly?  no, too frivolous.  irreverant?  Sounds close......   Anyway, you get the drift...I am still me.

So, if you are planning on doing something, don't let your age stop you.  Or what your age will be. As I have discovered, you will still be you, whatever happens.

Until next time,
#watchforme

your pal,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence