Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Light winds and sunny - Walking in a winter wonderland!

What a difference a day makes
I never realized how much I needed my Vitamin D naturally until I moved to Texas.  After being here almost four years, I still marvel at sitting outside to eat on a January evening.  My expectations have come to be very high (and my tolerance very low) during the five months I classify as "potentially cold".

When we lived in Kansas City, it could snow on Halloween.  That was no TREAT!  If you have a 50-60 degree day in November through January, it is a gift.  Heck, by the time January comes, a 40 degree day could feel like a GIANT REPRIEVE.  By Ground Hog Day (February 2nd for those of you who don't have a list of holidays) - everyone is desperate for an indication of whether or not the ground hog will cooperate.  March can be a cruel mistress.  I have a March birthday and celebrations are remembered as "feast or famine".  Gorgeous days or bitter gray punishments.

And then came Austin.  When I arrived in March, it rained shortly after I arrived...and then not again until November.  Only twice that first year (of any measurable consequence).  And still I was impressed with how much green this city had on the shoulder months.  I was told to buckle in for the summer, yet I still sported a sweater when it pushed 90+ because (wait for it) it was a dry heat.

I did learn to dress differently (women don't wear hose down here) and appreciate the difference in how weather was described when reported.  It wasn't just a "southern accent" type of learning but the context of the words.  Let me give you an example:  I was getting ready for church one Sunday during the winter months.  I had the news on and they broke in with a weather report saying "Everyone get your hats and gloves out for the first polar air of the season...more to come".  I quickly tuned in to see what was going on - I mean I was going out and wanted to dress appropriately. Well, the high that day was only going to break 62 and there was going to be a breeze.  Ahhhhh, all in context.

Where I walk now
Fast forward four years.  If it only breaks 60 now, I am bundled in a jacket and complaining about the polar vortex that has come too far south.  What happened to global warming??  When we have record lows at nights....grief - I am talking about close to freezing at times, I am at the store stalking up with the entire city of Austin (and surrounding areas) wondering if this is the end.  Because if we have freezing rain and it ices up, we could be home-bound until noon!

But then two or three days pass and our winter "month" is over for awhile.  And I am back outside - living a life full of sunshine and happiness.  Or maybe it's because happiness just naturally follows sunshine, I can't be sure.   My legs ache from my 12,000+ steps per day (you know I count 'em) and I imagine a healthy rose glow on my skin.

This might last until spring (or at least until Friday).  I love Texas!

Until next time,
#sunshineonmyshoulders
#makesmehappy

your pal,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence