Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Intimacy with strangers -until they aren't

Today I went for a massage.  I love a good deep tissue massage and have been a fan since I was introduced via a gift certificate back in the mid 90's.  When I went for my first massage, I was slightly intimidated, thinking about meeting someone (in this case a woman) for the first time, then basically taking off my clothes, climbing on the massage table and trusting a stranger to work out all my kinks.  All this with lights dimmed, candles burning and soothing music playing in the background.  Quite an atmosphere created for this therapy of sorts.

It's interesting the mixed signals we send about relationships, getting to know people, sharing our space, etc.  When we are in a crowd, we are very aware of appropriate distance, space and over sharing (both verbally and physically).  If we meet someone and go out on a few dates, we take our time getting to know them (hopefully) again, both intimately and personally.  But let someone offer to rub your shoulders and back, even at a price and Katy, bar the door, we are skipping the handshake, forgoing the once over and barely shutting the door behind us, before we have our clothes thrown in the a pile in the corner and we are on the table face down with the blanket pulled up over us, daring them to start the clock before they are hands on.

Obviously, I got over any sort of shyness with this business of massage therapy, as moves to different cities require a change in therapists as do times when they themselves move on.   When you first see a therapist you complete an introductory form that contains all types of information.  One thing missing which I almost think needs to be included on the form  is "How many massage therapists have you been with?"   "Rate your level of satisfaction".  "What could they have done differently".  You may laugh but I am all about relationship improvement.

I also get a chuckle out of thinking about the "selfies" that I could take during a massage.  As a believer in the "no pain, no gain" type of touch, there are many instances during the decadence of a one hour massage that I almost reach the point where I might shout out "stop" but feel compelled to take it like a man, if you will.  Surely I will gain a higher level of healing.  However, my facial expressions as I am lying face down looking at the floor are certainly not of the caliber for soothing and positive advertising.  One of these times I might accidentally scream out loud as I perfect my silent scream while my new therapist works on a particularly tight muscle in my neck.

One time Terry booked a couples massage for us as an anniversary surprise.  It truly was a surprise since he had never had a massage before and really didn't know what he was getting into.  Not everyone is comfortable with massage and unfortunately this is when we found out that Terry was NEVER going to be able to enjoy touch by a stranger.  For those of you who know me well, inappropriate laughter had to be contained throughout the LONGEST hour of my life.  Needless to say, that was our last couples massage, his last massage ever, and I still laugh every time I think about it.

If you have never had a massage, and you aren't adverse to being touched by a stranger, (who will only be a stranger for the first few minutes) please treat yourself.  I guarantee you will go back for more and in Texas, we even hug our therapist (right after we pay them) when we leave.

Until next time,
your pal,
Kari

2 comments:

  1. My first massage was also via a gift card received from you my friend. It was the best gift anyone had ever given me. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice not only to remember gifts given to me but gifts given AND ENJOYED by me. Thanks for that, friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks (in) Giving Giving (in) Thanks

Happy Thanksgiving.  Almost considered a designated time of year, we all like to gather as a family in a variety of celebrations  (sometim...

Never a dull moment; Look past the water stains; This is out of order, there is no coincidence